ok, i know what you’re thinking…fruitcake cookies? really? and believe me, i thought the exact same thing the first time my mom made them. but i gave them a chance, and low and behold, they were actually really yummy! this recipe came from my granddad who baked them every Christmas when my mom was a kid. my mom never really loved them as a kid, but she does now and they are my dad’s very favorite! and, i think they’re pretty yummy myself! Now, my mom actually made these this weekend and because i work Saturday and Sunday i don’t have a picture of the finished product yet. but check back tomorrow and i’ll update and add one!
for now, the recipe!
Joe Emerson’s Fruitcake Cookies
what you’ll need:
½ cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup buttermilk
2 cups sifted flour
½ t. baking powder
½ t. salt
½ t. soda
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup candied cherries, cut in fourths
1. Mix well shortening, brown sugar and egg.
2. Add buttermilk.
3. Sift together and stir in dry ingredients.
4. Mix in pecans, dates and candied cherries.
5. Drop with teaspoon about 2” apart onto lightly greased baking sheet.
6. Bake at 375 degrees 10-12 minutes.
Makes 4 dozen.